Thursday, September 23, 2010

Turning Things Around...

I am extremely happy to report that yesterday was the great day that I really needed it to be.  I was having a rough week and yesterday really turned things around for me.  It started with a two hour ride with my friend Nancy.  We headed off from Providence into Seekonk for a nice loop through quiet roads.  The weather was perfect.  Just under 70 degrees, sunny, and although there were some strong headwinds I was so happy to be out on the bike I just didn't care.  We chatted a bit on some of the quieter roads and then there was a long stretch of just pedalling away when I could lose myself in thought.  Finally I was able to pedal some of the stress out of my system and relax.  My legs felt really strong too which was awesome.  I was having a great ride and each stroke of the pedal seemed to lift my mood and lower my shoulders.  I had told Nancy the night before as we were planning our ride that I was having a rough week and that I might be a little grumpy.  I was preemptively apologizing essentially.  But I'm happy to say it wasn't needed.  You know you can spend a hundred dollars a week on therapy, or you can go out and buy a bicycle or a pair of running shoes.  For me its the worlds best therapy to get negative energy out of my system.  So it was an excellent ride and an excellent start to the day.

After that when I was back in my office I had a really positive phone call about the project thats really been stressing me out and we made some massive progress through one of the hardest stumbling blocks.  So finally that part of the project can be put to bed and I can move forwards on the giant other half of it that still looming.  So workwise the day took a positive turn as well.

All this positive energy was starting to build momentum!  This is a good thing.

And then at the end of the day I was off to go run with a friend along the ocean.  We went for an amazing 4 mile run.  I say amazing as it just continued to lift my spirits.  I've felt a connection to the ocean since I went to high school in Middletown and spent so much time near it.  So running alongside it is always so good for me.  The ocean just has a healing effect for me in a way...   its hard to describe.  And without trying to sound like some sort of tie dye wearing hippie I feel like I draw energy from it.  We followed our run with an amazing salad with chic peas, ham, chicken, green beans, spinach, lettuce, sesame seeds, cheddar and mozarella cheese, and I'm sure a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.  But it was amazing and after three days on the road with an insane schedule where I ate pretty much nothing but balance bars it was exactly what my body was craving.  So that felt amazing.

Yesterday was just what I needed at just the right time.  I feel so much better heading towards the race this weekend and the push to get the designs finalized for this massive project I'm working on by the end of next week.  I also feel really good about a few other things going on in my life right now.  And the thought that a real sense of balance is ultimately on the horizon for me at the close of this year makes me feel much better about how insane the next couple of months are going to be.  So yes...   things are starting to turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment