Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming....

Last night after getting back from the TT, stretching, a little massage with "The Stick", getting cleaned up and showered, prepping my swim bag for the AM, ate something despite my stomach's protests, transferred the data from my garmin to the computer, updated my workout log, emails, and my blog and double checked the front tire rotation of my bike....   after all that I was TOAST!  I got into bed around 11:30pm and was passed out minutes after that.

This morning I was up at 5AM and at the Y and in the pool at 530.  It hurt.  But I knew if I didn't do it right at 530 it wasn't going to happen.  And my wednesday pool workouts are really important as when I'm in town I typically work with my swim coach on tuesdays and thursdays.  So practicing what I learned on tuesday on wednesday before I see Jacki on thursday is kind of important.  Otherwise I'm throwing my money away.

This morning I got in the pool with two goals.

-try to keep your legs relaxed as much as possible and don't kick too strongly.  This is for two reason... one being my legs are still very sore from yesterday, and two being its just good technique!

-to swim 18 x 50 yards of a one armed stroke drill switching arms every two strokes and breathing bilaterally. 

I tried to mentally focus on...

-staying relaxed
-really reaching forwards with the arm in the water when breathing
-really rotating my hips almost vertical on every breath
-trying to breath in the bow wave as much as possible.

I'm happy to say I did manage the 18x50 set with about 10-20 seconds of rest between sets.  Do you know what that adds up to?  Yep.  A 1/2 mile!  So if I had to swim the triathlon tomorrow I could do it really inneficiently in about 35 minutes with just a one armed stroke drill and 20 seconds of laying on my back between 50 yard stretches.  Which would not be pretty... but the point is I did it, and its really the first time I've hit the pool with a distance goal instead of just doing drills for a certain amount of time.  Considering how tired I feel this morning I'm quite pleased.

After the 35 minutes of that I tried doing some freestyle.  I was really tired and unfocused and after doing that drill for 35 minutes I was doing silly things like breathing on every single stroke which was goofy.  Then I started getting sloppy from being tired and I called it quits.  So it was only about 40 minutes in the pool but the important thing is I worked on the stuff that I needed to prepare for tomorrow's session with my coach.

Next up today...

Strength training in the afternoon.  I'm going to have to be really carefull with the legs part of that.  I may reduce weight loads or reps on those sections if needed.  I don't want to hurt anything or do anything dumb.  Or I may feel better by then and do it up 100%.  We'll see.

But on that subject....   my legs are sore... but they are NOT hurt!  I haven't felt that my right leg is weaker than my left leg feeling in a week, and my right foot feels even stronger too and almost back to 100% normal.  So all this training and cross training is really starting to pay dividends.  AND!!!!  I'm doing a much much harder training load than I ever did when just running.  So I'm pretty psyched.  And on top of that the scale this morning read 10.6% body fat.  I'm getting awfully close to single digits!  Woohooo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment